Fibro Escapades

30-Something Wife, Mother, and Student shares her battles with Fibromyalgia and life in general.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Old Scary Movies and Head Shops, or, Possibly Why I Am Warped

It's Father's Day. I love my Dad, but I have some very strange memories of him from my childhood.

My Dad took me to see some scary movies when I was young. One was The Fury in which a person's head is exploded by telekinesis. I remember watching this movie through my fingers in the theater. According to the release date and my birthdate I was SIX YEARS OLD people. And then, a year or two later he took me to see Saturn 3 to which we were about 15 minutes late, so my Dad hung around in the theater after it was over to catch the first 15 minutes of the next showing. I remember wanting to leave because the robot scared me so much and then dragging him out as soon as it got to the part where we had come in. Of course, I also got to see Heavy Metal when I was only 9.

I should maybe mention that Dad was a bit of a hippie back in the day. Not so much in the Peace/No War sense, he did his turn in the military; but more in a laid back, music lovin', long haired, bootleggin' kind of way. He even was co-owner of a head shop for a while, which is where my mother met him and rumor has it I was conceived there. Whether or not that last part is true, I sure did grow up there. Even after my father sold his part of the shop, we spent a lot of time there and at 5 or 6 I could be seen hanging out behind the counter on a beat up bar stool with duct tape covering most of the seat.

Thanks Dad, for making me the unique, crazy person I am today!


Hector (from Saturn 3) says: Happy Father's Day!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home